I have found this great blog post about using facebook in education http://www.educatorstechnology.com/2012/06/ultimate-guide-to-use-of-facebook-in.html I strongly recommend taking a look as it relates directly to what we are learning in EDC3100 at the moment.
All information below is extracted directly from the link listed above.
Benefits you may harvest from your effective use of Facebook with your students :
•Relaxed, friendly and inviting atmosphere which encourages students participation and engagement
•Students feel comfortable learning through Facebook because most of them use it everyday
•Facebook can promote collaboration and social interchange between participants
•Students get engaged about their learning outside the classroom
Here are some of the ways you can use Facebook for educational purposes :
- Create a group for your class and strengthen the communication between you and your students. Check this handout to learn how to create your class group on Facebook.
- Schedule events for the entire class .
- Use message utility in Facebook to message your students about unexpected absences, rescheduling of exams…etc.,
- Share multimedia content like videos, photos, clips and more with your entire class .
- Post class notes for students to review in case they were absent
- Try to involve students who are normally shy in the classroom
- Facilitate classroom connections through letting students know each other more. This is particularly helpful in large classes.
- Use Facebook to send reminders, announcements, upcoming due dates or any other classroom news.
- Sharing online content with students such as interesting websites, blogs, wikis, and more
- Add educational applications to your Facebook group. Scroll down for a list of such applications.
- Encourage students to post content of their own such as videos, images, news stories and other media that relate back to their lessons.
- Look for other classrooms online that are willing to collaborate on educational projects, assignments and discussions.
- Use the events section to remind students of the upcoming field trips
Facebook Groups for Teachers and Educators
Educators using facebook : This is one of my favourites. Join this to keep in track of what other educators are sharing and talking about.
Facebook for educators : This is where you can learn about how to use Facebook with your students
Education : This is also another great group for educators and teachers
Educators network : this is for teachers who teach young learners
Have fun teaching : This is an excellent resource for teachers
Teachers- sharing ideas and resources for the classroom : This group is for primary and secondary teachers and is full of great resources.